Sunday 22 September 2013

THE BIG KNIT 2013



I recently picked up my knitting needles after a year long hiatus, and had totally forgotten how much I love knitting. It's started getting colder, so Graeme had requested a pair of slippers. Though after I had finished the first slipper, I realized the Big Knit was coming up, and if I wanted to participate I needed to start knitting some mini-hats straight away! If you've never heard of the Big Knit, it's where Innocent work with Age UK to keep thousands of older people in the UK warm during the winter months, by donating 25p for every hatted smoothie sold in November. Everyone can contribute by donating a knitted mini-hat. Check out their gallery, some of them are insane! I've been meaning to send them some mini-hats for years now, but somehow I've always managed to miss the deadline. But for once, there was still time! So Graeme would have to wait for his second slipper.

I opted to knit some pretty simple mini hats (though I was very tempted to try the Strawberry pattern!). To knit a hat like the one below, cast on 30 stitches. Knit one row, purl the next. Then knit three white, knit 1 red and repeat to the end. Purl one row, and knit 1 white. Knit 1 red, knit 3 white and repeat until the end. Purl and knit the next rows until you've done about 17 rows in total. Cut your yarn, and run in through the loops, remove the knitting needle, tighten and sew the side together. For the bobble, I used the fork method. Ta-da, mini hat!

Now go make some mini-hats and help some older people stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment