Wednesday 13 November 2013

JALAPEÑO CHUTNEY


Yes, I know what you’re thinking—another chutney? And yes, well, I like chutney. And I’ve clearly been in a chutney making mood recently. So, lo and behold—jalapeño chutney. And while I love the apple chutney I made the other week, I might actually love this jalapeño chutney even more. Like the apple chutney, this one is also quick and simple to make, and will fill your house with the wonderful smells of the spices.



It was actually my friend Ebany who first made me a jar of jalapeño chutney and gave it as a gift for no apparent reason a few years ago. She actually has two blogs, one for her travels and one for her creative outlet. I loved it so I requested the recipe, and I’ve made it a few times since then. I’ve only made a couple changes to the recipe, mainly to the spices used. The original recipe called for cinnamon sticks and fresh coriander, but for this I actually prefer using ground and dried spices and herbs as I prefer the texture of the end result.




Jalapeño Chutney Recipe: (makes about half a kg of chutney
130 g jalapeño chilis
125 ml apple cider vinegar
250 g brown sugar
2 onions, chopped
200 g raisins
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander leaves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
juice of 1 lemon
250 ml water

Directions:
Chop the chilis. De-seed if you'd like to keep it as mild as possible, or leave the seeds in if you want it hotter. I decided to de-seeded half to keep it somewhat spicy. Combine everything in a pot and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 25 minutes. Transfer to sterilized  jars, and seal. Enjoy! 



6 comments:

  1. Hey, chutney's amazing and this jalapeno version sounds dreamy! I bet it would be delicious on a burger!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius. That's it, I'm having burgers with jalapeno chutney for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mexican friend would love this! Nothing it ever too spicy for him :) I'll pass along the idea.

    /Cindi

    http://cherriesandsunflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds so wonderful! i'd eat this on anything, i love jalapeno flavored items.

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete