Wednesday 7 November 2012

POLKA DOT PLATE DIY


Last year, Graeme did a project as part of his course that involved drawing on plates. For this project, he used a porcelain marker to draw on glass. I've seen a lot of projects on pinterest where people use sharpie markers to draw on mugs and plates, but a downside of this is that it's not dishwasher safe. I kind of have this policy where I don't really invest in cutlery or crockery that's not dishwasher safe, because I'm not really a fan of doing dishes. I spent a significant sum buying a dishwasher, so I feel standing around doing dishes would be somewhat defying the point of that purchase. This marker however, promised to be dishwasher safe, so I decided to try it out.


We have a set of black plates and bowls, so I decided to go for some irregular polka dots to add a bit of a whimsical pattern to compliment the black plates. The whole process took about 5 minutes, as all you do is draw right onto the plate. No need to bake in the oven or any of that time consuming stuff.


Since my plate was from Poundland and the marker was leftover from one of Graeme's projects, this ended up being super cheap. Benefits of living with a graphic design student! I don't know about you, but my head is now buzzing with ideas though, so I'm going to have to go out and buy lots more plates and markers in different colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment